The Iowa Central men's tennis team defeated the Simpson Storm 7-2 at Dodger Courts Friday afternoon. The match was closer than the final score indicated, lasting four hours long and featuring three matches that went into a tie-breaker. With the win, Iowa Central, winners of five consecutive, push their record to 5-2 on the season.
1. Sam Dykstra/Zach Nelson (S) defeated Manuel Roman/Jacob Martens (IC) 9-8
2. Colten Way/Coleton Hout (IC) defeated Adam Wieser/Reade Reiter (S) 8-6
3. Chase Roseth/Mark Mosher (IC) defeated Aaron Smith/Brett Dewerff (S) 9-8
1. Manuel Roman (IC) defeated Sam Dykstra (S) 6-0, 6-1
2. Colten Way (IC) defeated Zach Nelson (S) 6-0, 6-0
3. Steven Mears (IC) defeated Adam Wieser (S) 6-1, 6-0
4. Nicholas Fifield (IC) defeated Reade Reiter (S) 6-1, 6-2
5. Zane Baker (IC) defeated Aaron Smith (S) 7-6, 6-4
6. Brett Dewerff (S) defeated Coleton Hout (IC) 2-6, 7-5, 10-8
"Like last night (vs. Buena Vista) we held out some of our top players in either singles or doubles and gave some of our varsity reserve guys some top level experience. Midway through the doubles I was wondering if I had made a major coaching error in playing so many guys higher in the line-up than they were used to because we were down significantly in each one of the doubles. However our men kept battling and did not get tentative during big points down the stretch. I was very proud of Mark Mosher (freshman from Huxley), he is our #13 or #14 player but we put him in the #3 doubles position tonight and he came through with some key plays in the tiebreaker to help us to the 9-8 win. Coleton Hout also stepped up nicely for us, playing the #2 doubles position with Colten Way and they scored a nice come from behind win. In singles, we took control of four of the six matches early. Really pleased with the play of Steven Mears at #3 and Nicholas Fifield at #4. Nicholas has played his best tennis as a Triton the last week or so with some really big wins and he had another one tonight." – Todd Redenius, Head Coach
The Triton men have the weekend off, with their next match being Friday September 22 vs. the Iowa State Club Team in Ames.